Creating the conditions for new, electricity-intensive businesses requires good access to electricity, but also a number of other factors. Jämtland County can offer as much as 500 MW in a stable network – where the electricity also comes from renewable sources. But we can also offer an environment that provides power to the increasing number of people who settle in the region.
– The environment in Jämtland is very attractive, which not least our immigrant figures show, says Marita Ljung, Governor of Jämtland County.
Jämtland County is currently in an upswing when it comes to the influx of new residents and business start-ups. There are many explanations, and some of them are the mixture of city and country, mountains and lakes – but also the availability of jobs and municipalities that care about new companies.
– There are two perspectives, both for the established companies and for those who will work there. From the company’s perspective, it is important that we can offer good redundancy and renewable energy. But we also have municipalities that are on their toes when it comes to permit examinations, says Marita Ljung.
The authorities in the county are keen to help and work supportively in an establishment process, all to make it as smooth as possible.
– We must be guiding and convey factual knowledge about what is required in an establishment, for example. In an establishment, it is extremely important that it goes smoothly, for example when it comes to getting the right information. We are there to make it easier so that there is correct information from the start, says Marita Ljung.
– There are also good opportunities for fellow migrants to get a job, if you are a family that moves here. For example, we have almost 40 public agencies in Östersund. I also believe that the trend of working remotely will continue. It is a solution that suits many today.
The presence of stable workplaces mixed with entrepreneurial spirit and innovative development environments makes the region versatile and dynamic. But there is room for more strong industries that are driving sustainable development.
– New establishments mean a lot for the county’s growth. We are already strong in green industries and tourism, but we need to strengthen our industrial portfolio and gladly create an industrial cluster, which is favourable for growth and innovation. Electricity-intensive industry is admittedly a small target group, but our offer is very interesting for the start-ups.